Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Can anyone give me an example of a rhetorical figure of speech?

Any will do. I just want to make sure I am understanding what is being asked of me. Such as ';Don't count your chickens before they have hatched';. Is this an example of one?Can anyone give me an example of a rhetorical figure of speech?
';i'd kill for a burger';....see, i wouldnt really kill for a burger....or, ';that's the funniest thing ever!'; ....i've probably seen funnier things, or even: ';do you understand me?'; i am sure you do understand the words i am saying but that is not what i mean....a rhetorical statement is one that the words dont mean what the literal translation means, or also it can be a question that you weren't really expecting an answer for, but the statement was made in emphasis of a conceptCan anyone give me an example of a rhetorical figure of speech?
rhetorical is anything that does not require an answer like for example if you were giving a speech and you said Do you know that over a quarter of people in prison are there because of a crime they did not commit? and then you would go on
Are you serious?





(I'm not being insensitive, that is one. Rhetorical questions are asked, but are not expected to recieve an answer. Another example would be: Are you coming? asked as someone is getting into a car to leave. They don't expect you to say yes, it's just meant to shock you into getting in teh vehicle)
things like ';Who cares?'; , or ';Are you kidding?'; or ';What's up?';

No comments:

Post a Comment