Saturday, December 26, 2009

My american staffordshire terrior is having alergic reaction to something and I can't figure it out?

She's been bathed, frontlined and just started her on natrual balance and she's been itching, bitting and licking nonstop, she's totally unconfortable, I gave her benadryl but I know that's not going to fix it. I did give her some vegi thy treats'; so stopped those incase it's that.My american staffordshire terrior is having alergic reaction to something and I can't figure it out?
Where is she gnawing at herself? If its her paws, it could be a slpinter or even the type of floor cleaner you use (as was the case with my husky).





Try eliminate one by one:





1)Your washing powder or fabric softener.


2)Hand soap/wash


3) Room deodoriser.


4) Floor cleaner (flash is particularly nasty - use milton)


5) Dogs type of food.


6) Perfume





PS: be careful with the dosage of antihistamine - dogs cant metabolise Diphenhydramine as fast as humans.My american staffordshire terrior is having alergic reaction to something and I can't figure it out?
You need to take your dog to the vet so they can help you figure it out. My staffie is allergic to everything from food (no lamb, salmon or duck) to grass. She has to be bathed once a week. She's on an antihistamine twice a day and steriods every so often when it is particularly bad (like right now). Her outdoor time has to be limited to walks/hikes only because there is too much out there right now that makes her itch. My staffie is even allergic to the frontline. :-( Bad breeding!! You may get lucky and it may just be a food allergy which can be easily fixed.





It's so hard to watch them when they are uncomfortable! Good luck!
Take it to the vet and get it checked out. You know their allergies are basically just like ours.
My dog and I know several other people's dogs are all allergic to chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment