Saturday, December 26, 2009

This may be stupid, but, is there a calculation for BMI that incorporates a womens figure?

The reason I ask, is I am 5ft 4in, and weigh 155, which is considered overweight (BMI: 26.6) , but I look at the fact that I am a 36D cup and wonder if that is why I am ';overweight'; and why that is not questioned in the calculation.This may be stupid, but, is there a calculation for BMI that incorporates a womens figure?
No, there isn't..which is why I think the BMI calculator is flawed. It doesn't take a weight trainer's muscle into consideration either. In my opinion, if your doc says your fine, then you're fine...not some impersonal calculator.This may be stupid, but, is there a calculation for BMI that incorporates a womens figure?
BMI charts are pretty lousy and should only be a rough guideline. At 5'4';, I weigh like 145 which is almost overweight , yet I'm not a big person at all. Most of the weight is from my wide shoulders and big legs.





At one point in my life I was like a size 6, but I still weighed 135-139. Go figure.
Not really, BMI is a quick and dirty way to determine where your weight falls on the curve, there are many things it doesn't take into account, it does an especially bad job with people who are very muscular (who may end up in a range of overweight despite being in very good shape with relatively little fat)

No comments:

Post a Comment