Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Is there some trick that can help me figure out when to use ';effect'; or ';affect';?

I usually don't have a problem but sometimes I just don't know which one to use. Is there something that can help me remember?Is there some trick that can help me figure out when to use ';effect'; or ';affect';?
If it is something that causes a physical reaction to happen it is an effect. If it is something has causes an emotion reaction, it is an affect.





check out this website


http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/aff鈥?/a>Is there some trick that can help me figure out when to use ';effect'; or ';affect';?
Affect is usually a verb meaning influence or change or cause a reaction. Effect is usually a noun meaning result or impact.


There are opposite nouns and verbs but don't bother about them. They are rare and will only confuse you.
Use the word ';effect'; when you mean the noun ';result'; as in ';what was the effect?'; You would use ';affect'; meaning ';to influence'; or ';an emotional state'; as in ';did the movie affect hiim?'; and for the second one ';what was his affect--flat or emotional?';

No comments:

Post a Comment